Followers

Monday, August 24, 2009

GETTING BACK IN THE GROOVE....

Phoebe and Gucci got out to the barn before me this morning. Who were they barking at? Our neighbors dog Harley. He loves to come over and roll in the horse manure.

I put the horses in their new stalls last night just before dark, so I had quite a bit of cleaning to do. Today they were in the back pasture with lots of new grass to eat.

When I finished, I mowed two of the pastures...as you can see, they are more like lawns, none of that thick, rich grass that other farms have. Enough to keep them busy and no danger of foundering. Maybe now that we are down two horses, the grass situation is going to change.

After lunch I drove over to Apple Creek Farm to mow their lawn. The apples are much bigger now, and Louise has many interesting and beautiful things in her gardens. This has been a very unusual year around here...There is some kind of blight and so many of us have lost our tomato, cucumber and pepper plants. This has never happened to us before.









When I got home, Abbe and I did a little work. I'd like to hitch her to my cart sometime this week. Maybe Tina can help me one afternoon (hint).

Speaking of afternoon...how about that sky? It was gorgeous when I went out to do evening chores.

The horses went back out to the pasture....

Pony eventually got there....

Couldn't those clouds be the leaves on this dead tree?

By now I was not in the mood for making dinner, so we went out to eat. On the way home we drove by the Welcome Center to see how many boats were there. Nice ones!




Got home in time to take the masks off...it is getting dark much earlier now. The horses left the indoor and went to the barn so I said what the heck and put them in at 8:30. Changing the stalls for 3 of the 5 horses is going to take an adjustment period...At the moment they don't get it. I gave Berlin this HUGE stall and put Abbe in hers, but tonight I switched them. Berlin wants to be next to PC and Abbe doesn't care where she is...the stall is about 10' x 28' as I knocked down a wall...sort of like a studio apartment.

By the time I got in the house it was dark.



















Tonight I was emailed a newsletter from the Driving Society and given a site to look at photographs from Walnut Hill. They were taken by a young man named Will Patterson, who I think is VERY talented. If you want to see what makes this event world class, please visit: http://willp-photo.com/photos/WalnutHill09

Once again I want to thank all of you for your comments regarding Target...such kindness and understanding!

Night all!

2 comments:

Mary Olson said...

I was noticing too that it's getting light out later and dark way too early. It's the loss of daylight that I hate more than the approaching cold of winter. So hard to get everything done with less daylight. Glad to hear you are getting back in the groove.

Frank said...

I love your shots of the docks and the boats. That is another world from our typical Florida boating world. And you sky could not be more beautiful. Lucky guys.

Dr. Porter's eyes got very wide and ears really picked up at the mere thought of Harley, mud and manure around HIS girls. Yuck! Not his gorgeous Gucci. (I guess you know all about Harley and you approve.) Porter is doing OK, a little shaggy as his coat of hair does naturally reach the floor. Our temps are just a bit too high for a floor-length doctor's coat. (I think the groomer is in his immediate future.)