Followers

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

BUSY DAY...BUSY DAY...ANOTHER BUSY DAY....


First things first!  How about these eggs?  I get them from my neighbor across the street.  Free range chickens with a great home, get to go out and dig around the grass....happy chickens...
Another beautiful morning.  Ideal.  Doesn't Pony look content?
Today the horses were in what I call the "inner pasture" (it should be called the back pasture).
The grass never has a chance to get real lush as there are 7 horses on a little over 3 1/2 acres. Rotating the three pastures gives everything a chance to grow and keeps them busy.
My macro shot for the day...



If it is Tuesday....you know the drill (class day)
Speaking of chickens....is this not the most beautiful painting?  It was done by the 18 year old daughter of one of my students.    She also did the drawing below.
Sandy is still working on a pencil drawing of her friend's horse.
Sue has now started putting ink on her drawing of the horse...millions of little dots.  Her daughter did the chicken and face above. 
Tina redrew the foot of "Buster" and is now going on to work with pastel pencils.
After class it was so beautiful I took my sidekicks outside to enjoy the sun.  It was about 70 degrees and as clear as a bell.

I had to be at Glen Darach by 3:30 for Abbe's training session and stopped at Tractor Supply on the way to pick up a bag of pellets for Pony's stall.
In my estimation, there could not be a better trainer than Andrea Macdonald.  She spent 3 1/2 weeks doing a lot of ground work and was tuning Abbe into discipline.  Like standing still, lowering her head for the bridle, getting used to blinders and the list goes on.  And, mind you,
this pony did everything she asked....happily!
Yesterday was the first day she was actually hooked to the little red cart.  Today she was hooked to the big cart.  On Friday I will bring her back to our farm and will spend some time doing ground work.  The little red cart will come home with me and I will leave my cart at Glen Darach so I can use it for a few lessons.  I will know I have arrived when I can drive it around Andrea's track (it used to be a racing barn for standardbreds).  Because I have always done things in a back yard way and strictly for pleasure, it will be very important for me to maintain Andrea's expectations of my pony.  I would never presume to call myself a trainer and would have to grow like crazy to develop 25% of the finesse she has....but I will do my best.  I really want Andrea to show Abbe someday so all the driving people in this area can see what a first class trainer she has become.  For almost 30 years she has been teaching, training and participating in Eventing.  It was by a fluke that she started driving. A good friend broke her foot and Andrea stepped in to show her horse.
When we were all done, this was the scene. 

Please look at the videos below to see what makes Andrea and Abbe a great team.  As of today, Abbe has had 26 days of training.

2 comments:

rebecca said...

What talented artists. I hope the 18 year old is hoping to follow in her passion, such talent like this you would not want sitting behind a 9-5 desk job. Gosh, no. And I love the picture of the horse and cat! How precious!

Anonymous said...

Oh I love that rooster!