Followers

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

WHAT IS GOING ON AROUND SKOOG FARM TODAY?


Very sunny this morning with dramatic clouds.

The light was beautiful on the trees in the back yard.

The color changed by the time I got out to the barn.
I had a grain delivery this morning.  Every other Tuesday.  He also brought me a bag of Dog Food.


Jon Katz over at Bedlam Farm has a great interest in stone walls and has been posting a series of photographs.  It made me look more carefully at what we have on our property.

As the day progressed, the clouds looked more and more like cotton balls.

By the way, both dogs went with me to the barn this morning.  Gucci can't wait to get inside.
Gayle (from Alaska) asked me what I do each morning.  Here is the drill.  Get up-feed the dogs-feed the cat-fill up two gallon jugs with hot water-grab my camera-open the door for the pups and go out to the barn.  Pick up a wheel barrow or two-put in the jugs of water-open the run in doors-open the horse barn doors-turn on the inside lights and turn off the outside lights-pick the manure out of Joe's area-get the grain ready-add the supplements-top with beet pulp-distribute grain and hay cubes (to those who need them)-start picking stalls-put hay on sled and take it outside.  Let horses out-finish cleaning stalls-sweep aisle-dump water buckets-clean out grain buckets-set up hay for evening chores-soak beet pulp and hay cubes for evening feed-sweep out feed room-take wheel barrows out of the paddock.  Some of the time I have to put blankets or sheets on and off depending on the weather.
Today we had a friend come to the farm with his tractor and rototiller to do the ring and a new area we are going to use for strawberries.

I have a photo of the ring further down.  It is level and fluffy....I'll bet the horses are rolling in it now.


After my class I drove out to Glen Darach Farm to hold Abbe for the Vet.  She needed some spring shots.  

She is in solitary, but can see all the other horses.  It makes feel bad, but it won't be for too long.
On the way home I stopped to take a few photos.
This is our local diner.  It sits next to a park where concerts are held all summer.
Gucci and Phoebe were with me.
Here is the shot of the outdoor arena.  Doesn't it look great????
I picked the big pasture this afternoon.  Queen Tut stayed near me while Mademoiselle Gucci ran all over the place.
The herd is waiting out there now, so I will have to go put them in before I go out to play cards.
It's bridge night.

5 comments:

J9 said...

I love that second shot with the sillouette of the barn and trees!

allhorsestuff said...

What a lovley day Lori!
Your ring is sooo large and wonderful..I love an outdoor ring like that!
Thanks for the pictures of the sky and trees and great dry stack wall!
Kac

Gayle said...

I was about to comment, but I think one of the kids needed the computer for homework...I hope I'm not saying this twice! :) Thanks for walking me through your morning. It must really take a few hours considering the number of stalls and horses. Hard work in bitter weather. Glad Abbe is doing well. The outdoor arena looks perfect!

Lisa & Gerald said...

Thought I stop by and say Hi... I have lots to catchup on.. Hope you have a great week..

Grey Horse Matters said...

Beautiful photos. Busy day like us but we enjoy it. Love your arena!