Followers

Monday, April 27, 2009

TODAY'S NEVER ENDING RUN-DOWN....

This morning was warm from the get-go.  It was bright and not as windy as yesterday, so we hit the mid 80s.

Now that I am putting the horses in later, chores go more quickly.
This is the first day I had to put their masks on... I  imagine the heat will bring out some flys or other annoying bugs.

The grass is starting to grow now....we could use more rain.

On days like this I open up the indoor to get a breeze going.  The horses take breaks in there.


Ariana....


Ariana, Daniela, Gucci and Phoebe went along with me to Apple Creek Farm.  This was the beginning of the mowing season and I should be there once a week through November.  I started around 10am and within half an hour I saw a huge tractor with a sprayer attached!  Just my luck...the people who lease the orchard from Jack and Louise were there to spray the trees.
We all got back in the car and left to avoid the chemicals.

We drove through Wendys and took lunch up to Jenny's.  Everyone was gone, so we let Ice and Buster Brown out in the yard with Gucci and Phoebe.  That little Gucci can get through the slats in the fence so keeping track of her is a royal pain!  

As you can see, she was pretty hot.

We put water out on the back deck to see if there would be any takers.
Phoebe gets all shy and coy around new dogs.

The Canal is now filled with water and I will spend some time taking more photos there.
I drove back down to Apple Creek and finished the lawn.
Just the driveway goes on forever.

Louise has beautiful gardens.

Back to our farm and the girls were just happy to hang out for awhile.
Gary sat out on the back porch listening to Daniela read a book about the Titanic.
Our swing really gets a workout.
At 4:30 Gary drove the kids down to Jenny's so Bimpa could take them to a baseball game in Rochester.  

The birds are out in full force.  I will have to see if I can get some good shots.  It is difficult with the camera I have.
After I started on dinner, I mowed our lawn.  I am pretty mowed out.
The tulips have really been showing their colors over the past two days.
There they go!  To the baseball game.....

I was running out of time and still had to set the table, finish dinner and do chores before Randy and Arlene showed.


So nice outside, the porch was an ideal spot.


Got everything together and went out to feed the horses.  

This is Target (26 yo Thoroughbred).  He was in the "ride...baby ride" video the other day.  It was so nice to see him with Jenny.  She took quite a break from riding as she was dealing with breast cancer.  Now, she's back in the saddle and our four grandchildren are right there with her.  Target was our first foal born on this farm.  Both Sire and Dam were race horses.


Now about dinner.  First I took some leftover "everything" bagels...sliced them and slow baked at 220 for a couple of hours...what great chips they make!  Then I made a spread out of cream cheese and red pepper salsa.  Great appetizer (but they make a lot of noise when you are chewing).

While they were in the oven, I sliced up some leftover pork loin (stuffing and all) and put it in a big frying pan.  Made some Skoog Farm BBQ sauce from scratch and poured it over the pork. Let it simmer for awhile, then turned it off to let the flavors blend together.





















While I was baking the bagel chips, I cut up some rolls and made croutons for the salad.   I spooned the BBQ pork onto soft rolls, topped with a little cheese and put them under the broiler til it melted.  Had some coleslaw to put on the top.  Arlene brought macaroni salad and we had ourselves a feast.  I love eating out on the porch.

We ended the night with a game of Sequence.  Didn't Gary and Randy pound us again!  What the heck.

The girls got home from the game and it is now nighty night time.  Later.

4 comments:

Esther Garvi said...

Every day is an adventure over at the Skoog Farm! Target is beautiful. Did he ever race or train in racing himself?

Gayle said...

I'm assuming you are on a riding lawnmower. Do you bag it or leave it lay? I love mowing grass, but I have a push mower. Could never get a big one around the rock garden beds in the front. I am always told I should have my teenage boys mow, but the truth is I really enjoy doing it. (My husband can't be home when I do it...he stops breathing!). Things are really looking good in New York!

CoyoteFe said...

Is not Spring grand??? Yea! Even if it's 90s down here, I am so happy the wheel has turned. And, it looks like Skoog Farm is gearing up well!

Anonymous said...

Can I come and live with you? A feast for the eyes, stomach and soul at Skoog Farm.