Followers

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

THE L O N G AND SHORT OF IT....

The morning was started off feeding Bermuda...this one is for you Fe.
We must have gotten rain last night as it was pretty wet out there.
Ariana and Gary helped me with chores this morning.
These two pigeons are just waiting for me to open the door to the indoor so they can get in there and make a mess.
Kevin dropped the boys off mid-morning and a plan was already brewing.  Right Finn?
Coop said he was in....
Daniela was ready....
and the whole thing was Ariana's idea.
Today the first Annual Skoog Farm Race was held.
All were to assemble in the side yard at 12:20...the races were to begin at 12:30 sharp.

A course was set up with orange cones.


On your mark! Get Set!  Go!

The 4 cousins had a great time and burned off some energy after their lunch of mac & cheese.

They are always so happy to be together!



Then it was time to start on a dinner for 10.  It was my debut making a gigantic stuffed pork loin.  These are some of the ingredients that made up the stuffing.  I sauteed 5 cloves of (our) garlic and a little onion...tossed in two diced apples and added some craisens.  Something our guests (the Botts of Hamlin Beach) should enjoy.

At the same time, I started a side of sauerkraut.  Bacon and onions...

Added the sauerkraut (which I had boiled for 20 minutes and drained).  On went some cider vinegar and brown sugar, then a diced apple.  Mixed, placed it in a covered dish and baked it in the oven for about 40 minutes.   A perfect addition to the pork.


In the meantime, the sun decided to come out, so I had to head out and get some shots for SkyWatch Friday.


The horses were out in the big pasture and stayed there all day.


Ariana was kind enough to make me a double batch of "Johnny Cake."


This was all served with rice and peas along with a salad made of mixed greens, sweet onions, strawberries, bananas and topped with a wine blush dressing and blue cheese.


My art table serves as a dining room table.


Finn


Daniela


Topper


Kevin was in Rochester, where he picked up a carrot cake and blueberry pie at the Little Bakery.  Carol made some chocolate chip cookies (which the kids devoured).


Kevin


About 7:30 Jeff and his son came to pick up the hot tub (boo hoo).  Fortunately we had finished eating dessert and all the men went out to help load it onto a trailer.


Very heavy and bulky...but now it is gone.  What am I going to do with no pool and no cool hot tub to jump in on those hot summer days?  I guess I have been spoiled.


Ariana picked and arranged these flowers for our dinner table.


9 comments:

Ewa said...

What a loong and lovely day! Being together is a lot of fun! Leaves happy memories!
Your loong dinner table - woo hoo! what a size - I really admire you.
What happened with that bath tube?
What will you be doing in loong hot days?
Cheers,

allhorsestuff said...

Recently someone put a weird comment on my blog.."Your life sounds idyllic"...um...it sounds like I ride horse alot, I think!
Now you and yours, on the other hand..now here is "a scene or event a simple and tranquil nature"
or; "A Romantic interlude".
Yes, it is busy..farms are with chores and kids and business...but I love watching you here.
He totally pegged the wrong blog!
And you know what...NOW, I have to go back to the store...for Sauerkraut!
XO Kac

Unknown said...

Hi Lori. Your grandchildren are a delight, and it was good to see Gary was upholding the honour of the grandpas in the Great Skoog Farm Handycap Race.
Warm regards, Mike and Ann.

Diary From Africa said...

Bermuda is gorgeous ! The race looked like a lot of fun and I must say your menu left my mouth watering ;)

rebecca said...

And a wonderful, happy and memorable day was had by all! Lovely. Oh, how I wish I had a table as long as yours to fit my family....

Esther Garvi said...

I just took a moment and looked through your pictures after a rough day and you must made time stand still! I love all the little things you're seeing! All the horses look lovely!

Mary Olson said...

The food! You have such great family meals and such family fun!

CoyoteFe said...

Thanks for teh Bermuda pic Lori! Iwill be done with my heavy workload soon, and will catch up! Although I don't know how! Now I have to go back and find our when the cousins came into town, and where your hot tub went! Spoiled? You? Ya gotta be kiddin'!

Gayle said...

It's great that the kids are able to come up with fun and entertaining activities on their own. All the fresh air must be so fun for them. (and the horses, too). I'm sure I wouldn't have given up the pool and hot tub especially in a place with milder weather than I have. I would love to have a hot tub.