Followers

Thursday, March 19, 2009

TODAY WAS A BONUS....

The sky changed quickly from 7:30 to 9, turning from yellow to bright blue.


I am now starting to take the dogs with me when going out to do chores.  For now, I close the barn doors so I know where they are every minute.  Gucci has springs on her little legs and can jump up on anything...today there was a bird in the feed room, so she got up on the hay bales to see what the heck was going on.

Am I the only one who puts hay on a sled to eliminate trips back to the barn?  Currently, I put out 8 piles (1 first cutting, 1 2nd cutting and 1 very fine flake).  As soon as there is decent grass, the horses could care less and this gets cut way back.

The horses like to snooze behind the tack room when it is still cold in the early morning.


After chores the pups and I drove over to the Genesee Valley Equine Clinic.  I took in two fecal samples (they were both negative) and picked up some bute.   I have not wormed since early November..... I clean my stalls every day, pick the paddocks and even pick my pastures.  It pays off.  Worming is like poisoning your horse....better to run a tight ship.  (My opinion).

On the way back I stopped to catch some shots of these seagulls and ducks.  Every year this low pasture floods, and every year they are there by the hundreds.


It was lunch time, so I stopped at Ralph and Rosie's for two slices of pizza and a drink....$3.50.
This afternoon I went out to rake.  Things are popping up all over the place.


The afternoon sky is very bright....
and I am waiting for a second bloom on my orchid.

It's time to go out for evening chores....maybe I'll catch you later.

4 comments:

Gayle said...

The sled is a great idea. I was all about using a wheelbarrow until I got my 4-wheeler w/trailer for Mother's Day last year. All that green looks so lovely. I wish my dogs could do chores with me, but they aren't so kind to the birds.

B SQUARED said...

You have a beautiful farm and a lovely life. Cheers.

Esther Garvi said...

I think it's GREAT that you bring Miss and Melle with you on your chore rounds! There are few things as life qualitish for dogs than being allowed to get to follow their pack leader and just "be". I love how Gucci is THRIVING at your place Lori - she could not have recieved a better home. I also sense that she is inspiring Phoebe to show an even more playful side. Could that be? Over at our end, Sheba has really done a wonderful job at transforming Mr Grumpy Dennis Mugu into a playful youth. This morning the two of them were running around like crazy and you could actually see Dennis smiling over the fact that Sheba was trying to bite his tail! Aw, my little Shebes... she is such a joy-spreader!

Warm greetings from our corner of the world!!!

Dream Valley Ranch said...

I love the pair of muffins, Gucci and Phoebe...they are just adorable! They are two little peas in a pod!

I finally got a nice set up in the barn with big monster crates so that I can bring some or all of my pack down with me when I'm in the barn. I have lots of friends who let their dogs run in and mingle with their horses, but that scares me too much. One annoyed kick and it's over.

Love the sled! That looks like it's about a bale of hay total?

You have such a sweet and beautiful herd...it is my goal to one day have my girls integrated.

I'd love to hear what your evening routine is for stalling...do they all line up and no one tries to squish into a stall together? Is there ever any kicking or chasing?

Three of my girls have some big personality issues because of their abuse/neglect and I don't know how long it will take for them to learn better social skills :D

Squishes to all the fuzzy ones out that way!
xoxox
Suebeedoo