Followers

Friday, March 6, 2009

THIS IS GOING TO BE A LONG ONE...

I loved being able to go out to the barn with just a fleece jacket over my sweats this morning.
When I got in the barn I took all the blankets off the horses.
Carol, here's your picture of Joe.  He looks like a moose with all that hair....
When I finished at 9:30am it was approaching 60 degrees....and I loved it!
The front paddock was nice and dry, and even tho it was grey, it was a great break for the ponies.
They all looked pretty good, for just coming out of the winter...except for one thing!  They were filthy from rolling.
I'm keeping them off the biggest pasture so it can finish drying out.  If we don't get a lot more snow, the transition to spring could be very smooth, and not too muddy.
The back pasture is pretty messed up with footprints, but a good rain will take care of that.
At least they are getting out of the paddock.  The outdoor ring is very muddy.
I'll be glad to have all the pastures available.
This time of the year is kind of ugly.  Everything is such a mess with branches and leftover leaves everywhere.  Stark.
This bench is waiting for someone....
How does sedum survive all that snow without being crushed?
This stone wall was made from the cement floor of an old horse barn that burned down over 50 years ago.

Today the Therapy Dog team was back on duty for the spring session.  This is Mikey.  He has worked with us in the past as a substitute and is now going to participate regularly.  The biggest Golden Doodle I  have ever seen (115 pounds).  Every Monday he has been visiting residents of a local nursing home, going from room to room making a lot of people very happy.

DJ was ready....
Phoebe worked with two new girls today...it was a story about bears.
Since Gary was not going to be home, I dropped Gucci off with Jenny while I took Phoebe to school.  She needs to get used to being there, the way Ice is comfortable being at the farm.
This was First Friday at the Alumni House and the turnout was great.  The dogs slept in the car so I could go in for awhile.
Our son-in-law, Kevin, has been very good at getting sponsors for these events...and today they were out in force.
In it's second year, new people continue to show up.
John Halstad, the college president (2nd from the left), has been very supportive and enjoys meeting with people from the College and Community.

When we got home, the two Queens had a good run and went to their throne to wait for dinner.
By the time I finished chores at 6:15, the sky was looking good...and Sunday night it is going to be light for another hour.

We were invited out to dinner by our friend Jack, so Gary and I met him at Mythos....a local Greek restaurant.  I parked in front of Country Treasures and could not resist taking a photo of one of the windows.
After a long day, we are ready to crash...look forward to this warm stretch of weather.

5 comments:

allhorsestuff said...

Nice warm for you!!! Yea!
I loved seeing the vistor pooches at the car window, anticiapting!
Your pergola is awesome! My husband is starting one for us this summer on the back part of the sideyard fence he built.
What a nice and very full day you had!
Good night, sweet dreams!
Kac

Diary From Africa said...

Lori I'm so glad that your weather is warming up - the horses must be happy about it, too :) Thanks for the lovely photo's ....

Unknown said...

Very nice post, so many pictures !
Soon the spring will come with its green grass !
I have not understood well : "What kind of school the dogs go to ? What do they learn ?"
Phyto and Le Cheval Endiablé

Gayle said...

Isn't Spring wonderful? When the weather gets warm enough to be very comfortable being outside. I am not the most tidy house keeper, but I love working outdoors shovelling, raking, clearing brush...whatever...in the summer. I can't wait until I am able to get out there again! Your fields look great. You may escape too much mud afterall.

Anonymous said...

Poochie is adorable. She looks great with Phoebe. The girls loved having Phoebe back to read to. Thanks!