Followers

Monday, August 25, 2008

PEACHES PART 2....





It had not even been 24 hours, and I was ready do something with a bushel of peaches.  First, I gave a lot of them away!  Then, found the canning directions and went about my business. Everything was going well until it was time to put the jars in the canner.  Zing!  Pop!! two of the jars broke and out came all the peaches.  What a mess.  I ended up processing the five quarts.  Because I never canned peaches before, I learned a lot!!!  You really need to pack the jars.  I thought they were full enough, but they were not.  Got the bubbles out after I poured the syrup on them, remembered to put on the Fruit Fresh...but I blew it somewhere.  Such is life....  I tried.

3 comments:

Lisa & Gerald said...

I've been canning for years with my mom! But the last 7 years I done some on my own and yes it can be messy P. Beets are very messy! But very Yummy

Unknown said...

I hope it will be very good.
I was surprised to see you put the jar with the cork in the boiling water. I always open the jar and have the jar and the cork boiled separately.
When all is over, I put the jars on the shelves upside down, the cork is against the wood of the shelf. So the content is close to the cork and the air cannot enter the jar.
Phyto

Gayle said...

I think the entire world is canning something besides me. :( I think I'll go back something to make myself feel better! :)